Saturday, December 5, 2009

Megan's Critical Literacies

I think that we need to change the way we talk about theatre as theatre educators, as suggested in the article we need to not say it’s so “special” but that the students in theatre are special and have real evidence as to its value in society. I need to focus on theatre helping my students and not their parents. I am responsible of helping them find a narrative of hope and meaningful discussions of differences, among other things. I think I have a huge responsibility to create high expectations for the youth, but also be understanding to their culture and their needs. I really liked the five points she gave about an outstanding teacher. I think it is my responsibility to expose the students to other authors along with Shakespeare. Also I should create a program that is not afraid to explore and ask big questions. I can help my students engage with these critical literacies by being active participants and not passive. The students make their own decisions. I will help them along the way, but they become agents for their actions. The students can also become engaged when they understand the social interactions around them. We can help build relationships and analyze those in society. Also I like the idea of including talk back sessions about performances or other art forms in theatre. That way the students are able to express their opinion fully and become advocates of the situation. I liked when the article stated that “young people have and create a culture” I think that as a theatre educator I have the opportunity to celebrate and find out that culture and get my students involved with each other. I have a goal to work towards this in my classroom and I am excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment