Monday, November 30, 2009

Student Centered Learning

One the most memorable lessons that I have ever had in the McKay School of Education came in a class when the teacher said, "Some days, your lesson plan will simply be to make it through the damn day." Now, while that is a good sound observation and advice, it seems like there are definitely better ways to do things.
As a future teacher, it seems like there times when my desire for my own schooling is about the same as that for a struggle teacher-- just to make it through the darn day-- the thought of teaching my own class at 110% every lesson does seem to be a bit daunting, but then the thought of not giving my all seems even worse.
Given the ideas of student centered learning, it seems fit then, that my goal every day, despite personal struggles or challenges with teaching, should be to make sure that the students are the center of the teaching. All of us have been in classes where the teacher doesn't seem to be concerned with the students-- but instead has other things on their mind, or is distracted, or doesn't seem to care what goes on the classroom. For me, student centered learning means that I am doing my best to make sure that the students are not only understanding the concepts I am teaching but WHY I'm teaching them. Students know when they are the center of the classroom, when the teacher actually cares and the environment is one that is ready to cultivate education and real learning. Students also know when the teacher is passionate about what is being taught. My hope is that my students will be able to tell the difference between my classroom and others that they are in; they will will be able to recognize that my classroom is one where they are valued.

No comments:

Post a Comment