Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Teaching Post 6-Elisabeth

1. Applying texts and literacies in the theatre classroom
This whole concept of texts and literacy still confuses me, mostly because I feel we are applying new words to old concepts. But in our lessons, we used the body as a text, and treated it as such. We explored the different ways its can move, specifically explored different body parts, and how all of these things can express emotion. These lessons were geared towards teaching literacy in the human body on stage.
Honestly, I did not think about literacy that much, because that word means something else in my head. Instead I was thinking more about words like understanding, exploration, and connection of ideas. I do not understand how text and literacy is any different then students understanding the material you are discussing, and being able to connect previous knowledge and activities to what is presently being done. In my mind, that is what teaching is, so I simply don't understand why this is a new concept. It feels like a new name, a name that has other connotations in teaching being assigned to a new concept, and I find it confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment